Thursday, January 29, 2009

Free Episodes Of Pinky And The Brain



is fashionable now to talk about integration, immigration, multiculturalism, intercultural ... and all those words with many syllables, which seems to never go to has just made. Perhaps because it so fashionable these terms so abstract and difficult to specify, also outcrop complex feelings that appeal not to reason but to elements that have more to do with our identity, and therefore, more visceral : country, nation, culture God ... Of all of them would say we could have some idea of \u200b\u200bwhat they mean to us, but certainly when compared to its neighbor are so different that some discussion, not always pleasant-emerge: what is my culture, how I define my identity, where it ends I consider my nation and my country. We all have some idea of \u200b\u200bwhat it means to us, but it would be difficult to describe in full, as on this issue like no other, the total is more than the sum of its parts.

On the complexity of defining our identity, recently I came across an Internet discussion about the social / cultural that has and will have 27% of children born in 2008 in Catalunya at least one parent is an immigrant . As expected, in a society - and I am not only referring to the Catalan-where immigration over the past 5 years has been considered a major concern, this issue has brought to the surface views for everyone. Since the radicals who demanded expulsion for immigrants by the fact not born in this land, even those who were glad to know the mixture of races and cultures that were taking place. Among the comments was one that caught my attention since I do not remember hearing it before as an argument to defend it "yours." The commentator was saying that the first thing is to meet the needs of housing, health and education to the same "blood" *.

guess (and hope) that the idea of \u200b\u200b"blood" was referring to this commentary is that first you should take to "own", understood in a sense of family and friends, and then to those just arrive. To which I reaffirm the theory that human beings when confronted with their fears appeals to saying "we are all equal but some more equal than others." But I will not talk about it, because I think it's a natural reaction and unfortunately common. I'd rather talk about what scares me: imagine that what this anonymous commenter was referring was that social rights are acquired only through inheritance of blood. I say, for reviewing some online forums where they discuss these issues, I realize this, the blood, is increasingly common.

think that even fulfill my duties as a citizen (labor, taxes, civic spirit ...) do not give me all the rights that entails, and simply is a toll to get anywhere, I'm afraid.

scares me to think that when I read that some people think that "first blood", refers to the sense of obtaining those rights through a random mix of chromosomes. I dread to think of the children of the children of immigrants who, like me, are the result of an infinite mixture of blood from different origins, cultures and races. In my mingles the blood of my ancestors blacks, Indians, English, Lebanese ... Something tells me that for people who think that way, this mixture of blood to disable me that while I fulfill my duties, be immediate beneficiary of the same rights as a person with "pure blood."
can
that is conditioned by the media, but I can not help connect people who think that way with those "characters" who believe they have the pure blood and go down the street with a shaved head, defiant and dark clothes. You may be conditioned, but it may be that my survival instinct is telling me that the aggressive gesture of these "characters" is simply an act of desperation as they seek their neurons. That's why when I see them looking their neurons in the eyes of others, because I'm more afraid that they will find their neurons, like coins, in my own humanity. ---



* I tried searching this comment and it was that inspired this entry, but can not find it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment